Sunday, May 29, 2011

day two, mississippi law enforcement.

A week or so ago, I had been pulled over by a very rude highway patrolmen.
Believe me when I say that my delinquent days are over. I like the police, (not just the band either), but this cop was downright mean. He came up to the door yelling at me. I mean I guess I understand why he was mad, I was driving faster than the speed limit, endangering myself and others by my recklessness. Yelling however was not necessary.

In Wiggins, a little city in between hattisburg and Duftport, there was a police officer who approached me while I was sitting in another reps car. He distrusted me and the rest of the reps because he saw one of us going into a "strictly black" neighborhood. As the officer put it: "There's only two reasons why white folks go across that bridge. That is to buy dope or sell dope. They don't like white people there. Cops don't even go in there, they shoot at us." I immediately had my coworker on the line, telling him we were coming to get him. after talking with us though, he didnt mind us, and agreed that we needed to be there.

One of my favorite coworkers seems to be a cop magnet. Poor guy. One night in Purvis he had the cops called on him twice, I found out later. It was just an unfortunate misunderstanding, really. He sold to a family and they were all finished with the paperwork when someones mother came over and believed my coworker to be a conman. My coworker went ahead and canceled the sale based on her assumption and gave back the paperwork so he wouldn't have any written record. That still didn't seem to be enough for this woman and soon, the cops tracked him down, further up the street still knocking on doors. The cops didn't give him too many problems or anything. He explained himself and the cops left him alone. I later ran into those same cops at a gas station. They carried on with me for a while and told me they had spoken "to a friend of yours." We all knew who it was, and that made it that much funnier.

When we were in Columbia, a cop pulled one of my managers over. Apparently someone had reported seeing a stranger in the neighborhood, He asked my manager if he was working with security systems, and he said yes and the cop simply said: "good, this city need it." Before the cop just drove off. He told them they had to kick out some other Alarm salesmen. Get this, the officer said: "a couple of weeks ago, there were a couple of break-ins in this neighborhood, people reported seeing white guys in white ski masks breaking into homes. The next day ADT was here." It was just too coincidental, so the cops had to kick them out of the city. The worst part of that story is that if those white guys in white ski masks breaking into homes was an alarm company, than it was just a waste of their time, and good reputation. Columbia already has break ins and druggies and shootings, they already need security systems.

When I called to complain about the cop that pulled me over (yes, i complained about him). The ticket is enough punishment, I don't need someone demoralize me for speeding, along with a gigantic financial burden.... Like he's never sped before. Anyway, I spoke to the master Sargent. The difference was night and day between them. The Sargent was everything the south is known for: hospitality. He made me like cops again. I wondered about Utah cops and if they would be as pleasant. Maybe he knew the cop personally and knew he had an attitude, either way, he made me want to forgive and forget.

I'm positive there is more on this. Its just yet to come. As long as there are countless sales, there will also be countless paranoia. More power to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment